Biggest update yet overhauls campaign, adds NPCs, outposts, and more
HAMBURG, Germany – July 30th, 2020 – Publisher Daedalic Entertainment, and independent studios FakeFish and Undertow Games, proudly announce ‘New Frontiers’, the biggest update to the unique sci-fi submarine simulation Barotrauma since Steam Early Access started last June.
‘New Frontiers’ further enriches the game by adding a campaign-based journey with a mysterious destination in the depths of Europa. Multiple aspects of the game have been improved to create a real sense of progression in the campaign mode, and a work-in-progress ending has been implemented together with an accessible endgame location.
- Outposts: The crew is now able to physically reach and explore outposts at the start and endpoint of a mission. AI inhabitants and randomized events keep the outposts alive. Players can trade, restock equipment, hire new crewmates and more.
- Submarines: The crew’s swimming home base will develop throughout the journey. Beginning with a modest sub, players are able to update and modify the hull, different machinery and weaponry as they progress. All available improvements apply to modded ships as well, so the community can seamlessly integrate their own creations into the campaign.
- Crewmates: The heart of the game, the submarine’s crew, is no longer randomized between campaign missions when playing with bots. Every crewmate becomes a valuable part of the mission and can be individually trained, so you should not use them as expendable cannon fodder. The bot AI was also improved.
- In-game economy: Players are able to sell items, prices are balanced and different items are available at different locations in the game.
- Visuals: The developers visually overhauled the majority of sprites in the game and revised the campaign map.
‘New Frontiers’ marks the next step towards Barotrauma’s full launch and is available for free. For more information, check out Barotrauma on Steam.