Go mad for this gorgeously grotesque hand-drawn tale based on the work of H.P. Lovecraft
Prague, Czech Republic — 26th, September, 2019 — The world is lost to ancient horrors from planes beyond. Journey from the lost town of Arkham as one of eight tragically fated character Archetypes, deep into an abyss of terror in Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones, a cosmic horror CRPG, available now for PC on Steam for $29.99 USD (24.99 EUR). Iä! Iä! Discount fhtagn! The Old Ones have granted their worshipers on Steam a 15% discount for launch week!
Drawing directly from the works of H.P. Lovecraft, Stygian is a turn-based RPG set in a broken and mysterious world. Like classic CRPG titles, Stygian provides an open-ended narrative to unearth as characters cope with the warped reality of a world fallen to chaos.
Create a character based on one of eight different archetypes pulled from the pages of 1920s pulp fiction, each with unique attributes, skills, and beliefs that provide defenses (and weaknesses) against impending mind-rending terror.
Featuring strategic, turn-based combat, players will face fanatic cultists, inhuman monstrosities, and cosmic horrors so [REDACTED FOR PUBLIC SAFETY] that leave the weak-willed gibbering. Balance physical attacks with powerful eldritch spells that have dire consequences on one’s sanity while fending off the unnatural.
Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones is out now on Steam.
- A hand drawn 2D world reflecting Lovecraft’s themes of cosmic horror and dread.
- Enemies, environments and storylines inspired by Lovecraft’s iconic original works. Take part in quests inspired by Lovecraft’s most beloved stories and see them play out according to your own decisions and role-playing style.
- Choose from 8 main character Archetypes, each with its own backgrounds and specialties.
- A host of weird companions to accompany you on your ill-starred journey: the lonely, antediluvian ‘Outsider’, a fallen soldier of the Great War reanimated by Herbert West. Recruit these and other outlandish beings to your crew.
- Your character’s Sanity and mental state influences their available dialogue options, offering both advantages and hindrances. Sometimes it pays to be mad in a world gone mad!
- Stygian’s Belief System determines how your characters cope with the warped reality of the new Arkham, as well as the rate at which they regenerate lost Sanity. Belief Systems also offer unique dialogue options, expanding the breadth of role-playing possibilities.
- A new kind of spell system which sometimes takes more than it gives. Being a master of the occult is not as simple as flinging colored missiles from your fingertips. The black magic of Stygian is potent but may cost you your mind, your health, and possibly even more.
- Strategic, turn-based combat from a 2D perspective, similar to the classic Heroes of Might and Magic games.
- The struggle in Stygian is not to save the world, for that battle is lost already. Pursue your own goals in these end times: salvation, vendetta, or perhaps something darker.